Re: [Libunwind-devel] Commit 32202619c42f58a9dac6eee3b9a4c231f1ce394a is

From: Arun Sharma
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] Commit 32202619c42f58a9dac6eee3b9a4c231f1ce394a is misleading
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 11:37:13 -0700

On 10/26/12 10:35 AM, Paul Pluzhnikov wrote:

The hint to call unw_backtrace early in thread creation is not very useful
to tcmalloc users, as they have little control over exactly when
calloc is called during thread creation, or when tcmalloc decides to
record a stack trace.

True. The workaround is practical only for folks who have the ability to force something right after thread creation, but before any calls to malloc related routines.

I would prefer the test to fail while unw_backtrace() remains calloc-unsafe.

If the flood of "Ltest-nocalloc is failing" messages from end-users is
too distracting, perhaps there should be a "currently known to fail"
set of tests that only maintainers would know how to run?

That was the motivation. I'll lookup the documentation on XFAIL_TESTS this weekend.

 -Arun