Re: [Libunwind-devel] Alpha support

From: Eric Nichols
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] Alpha support
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 17:00:14 -0500

Actually, I mentioned this to some gentoo-alpha developers on irc and they said that we may need libunwind for future x-servers.  Perhaps there will be others interested.  Not sure how much time I'll have to spend on this realistically, so it could be a while yet and I have no idea what timeline they are thinking about for supporting future x-servers.

Cheers!

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 6:22 AM, Tommi Rantala <address@hidden> wrote:
2013/2/19 Eric Nichols <address@hidden>:
> I notice there are quite a few supported architectures in this project, but
> I do not see Alpha.  Any chance of support being added at some point?
>
> I have a couple of AlphaServers which I run linux on, and this package has
> come up as a dependency a couple times, and naturally it doesn't work.

Hi Eric,

AFAIK nobody is working on adding alpha support, so do not expect to
see it any time soon.

It is not impossibly hard to add rudimentary support for new
architectures, but it does take some time to delve into the details
how backtracing works on a given arch.

When it comes to Alpha, it's helpful that qemu seems to have alpha
support, so access to physical machine would not even be strictly
required.

Tommi