Re: [Libunwind-devel] Libunwind Performance Questions

From: Michael Sartain
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] Libunwind Performance Questions
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 17:03:33 -0800

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 9:19 AM, Paul Pluzhnikov <address@hidden> wrote:
I had a local patch to disable tracking all the extra registers, and got
a nice speed up.

Later, Lassi Tuura contributed a "fast trace" patch for x86_64, which
made x86_64 much faster still:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libunwind-devel/2011-03/msg00042.html

This is likely why you find x86_64 variant fast enough, but i386 too slow.

Later still, I attempted a mechanical port of "fast trace" to x86:
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/libunwind-devel/2011-11/msg00022.html

This is very useful. I'll take a look at picking up your "fast trace" patch and getting it to run after a conference I'm attending next week.

I also just added a simple patch which adds a backtrace_skip() function since we're doing that quite a bit. It's here if anyone is interested...

https://gist.github.com/mikesart/8365549

Thanks much for your help Paul.
 -Mike