[Libunwind-devel] unwi_dyn_remote_find_proc_info()

From: Sukadev Bhattiprolu
Subject: [Libunwind-devel] unwi_dyn_remote_find_proc_info()
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 19:19:41 -0700

I am trying out libunwind support for the linux perf tool on ppc64.

I defined some of the accessors for ppc64 (based on perf on x86) and
the perf tool seems to work with simple tests.

perf with libunwind does not seem to work for a tail-call test case
and am trying a better understanding of the libunwind code.

I have a couple of basic questions.

1. libunwind.git/src/ has several sub directories corresponding
   to different architectures (ppc64, x86, arm etc).

   But while tracing through the code for unw_step(), I see functions
   unwi_find_dynamic_proc_info() and unwi_dyn_remote_find_proc_info()
   are called. And these are only defined in 'src/mi/' folder.

   So is the code in src/mi arch-independent or specific to some arch ?

2. Re: src/mi/Gdyn-remote.c:unwi_dyn_remote_find_proc_info(), is
   there a high-level overview of what that function is doing ?

   I see that it is reading several words and I see my ->access_mem()
   getting called from the fetchw(), but am lost on the "big picture".

   The starting point for this function seems to the '_U_dyn_info_list'
   variable, but not sure what that represents. Appreciate any pointers.

Sukadev