Re: [Libunwind-devel] [patch] Remove unnecessary calls to labs()

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] [patch] Remove unnecessary calls to labs()
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 11:23:32 -0700

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 10:58 PM, Arun Sharma <address@hidden> wrote:

> Looks good. Should show up in git in a couple of days.

We've just traced a large memory increase to that patch (Google ref:
b/18069427).
It appears that labs() was there for a good reason.

Sorry about that :-(

For the curious:

  unsigned long u1 = ~0UL;
  unsigned long u2 = labs(u1);

  assert(u1 != u2);  // labs on unsigned *may* have an effect, despite
what Clang says.

Attached patch suppresses the Clang warning, while still keeping the
original behavior (which I believe to be correct).

Thanks,
--
Paul Pluzhnikov