Re: [Libunwind-devel] Fix word size for MIPS architecture

From: Arun Sharma
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] Fix word size for MIPS architecture
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 08:05:47 +0530

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 6:07 PM, Vicente Olivert Riera
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Both n32 and n64 are MIPS64 ABIs. The only difference is that n32 has
> 32bit pointers and integers, and n64 has 64bit pointers and integers.
> But both are a MIPS64 architecture.

This sounds more like:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X32_ABI

We don't have a precedent for this in the code base as far as I know.
I still think it should be exposed as a new ABI for everything to work
right (eg: n64 unwinder unwinding a n32 target and vice versa).

For the specific patch you attached to the bug report, assuming n32
has 64 bit registers: Changing unw_word_t to 32 bit will break
interfaces like:

unw_get_reg (unw_cursor_t *cursor, int regnum, unw_word_t *valp)

Could you solve the X problem by using a different type that
represents the size of a pointer (Eg: ptrdiff_t or size_t?)

 -Arun