Re: [Libunwind-devel] libunwind-1.2 released, patch roundup for 1.3-rc

From: Yichao Yu
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] libunwind-1.2 released, patch roundup for 1.3-rc
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 13:22:14 -0500

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 12:09 PM, Dave Watson <address@hidden> wrote:
> The previous 1.2-rc release looks like it got decent testing with no
> complaints.  It's been tagged as 1.2 and released.

Thanks a lot for putting together the release!!!

In additional to the ARM patch that I sent to the list which is
included in the patch-queue-arm branch, there are a few other patches
that we (julia) carries that aren't yet sent to this list yet.

Fixing instruction pointer offset on ARM (hopefully non-controversial
since it's just mirroring x86)
https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/blob/fd1495138b72df4e5e68208e032ac184d330bfca/deps/patches/libunwind-arm-pc-offset.patch

Accept newer DWARF version: This one is a total hack and even had a
typo in it... ;-p. Do you have any plan about doing this more
properly?
I was told that DWARF 4 didn't add too much new stuff. Is it possible
to only complain if a unsupported feature is detected so that we don't
need to bump this version too often?
https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/blob/fd1495138b72df4e5e68208e032ac184d330bfca/deps/patches/libunwind-dwarf-ver.patch

Prefer EXIDX unwinding on ARM: This one is also a little hack. In my
experience the unwind info is more reliable for unwinding than the
debug info and since it's used by c++ I think it makes sense to use
that method first.
https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/blob/fd1495138b72df4e5e68208e032ac184d330bfca/deps/patches/libunwind-prefer-extbl.patch

And yet another patch we carry that might be of general interest.
https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/blob/fd1495138b72df4e5e68208e032ac184d330bfca/deps/patches/libunwind-freebsd-mapper.patch

I noticed that you've created github repo for libunwind, will you be
accepting pull requests there or is it just a mirror like the one for
llvm/linux/etc..?

Yichao Yu