Re: [Libunwind-devel] libunwind support for Mips

From: Dave Watson
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] libunwind support for Mips
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 10:56:31 -0800

On 01/19/17 02:32 AM, John Knight wrote:
> I did a brief search of the mail archives and noticed some mail suggesting
> support for Mips.  Can you tell me if libunwind does in fact support Mips?
> If not, is it in development?

Yes, Mips is supported.  Looks like the README needs an update...

> We have a number of different processor architectures (all running linux)
> that we would like to have backtrace support on. Unfortunately, we cannot use
> glibc's backtrace capability for various reasons... so we are looking for an
> alternative.  In particular, we want to be able to provide a stack backtrace
> when an application on the router crashes due to error such as segmentation
> fault or illegal instruction.  The current idea is for each application to
> have a signal handler that catches the usual catastrophic errors and the
> signal handler will call code to provide backtrace.  We want something
> lightweight, and libunwind sounds perfect for the job, but alas, it needs to
> run on all of our processors... mips and arm are the big ones.

arm is heavily used, and should work fine.  It supports a fast
unw_backtrace(), even.  Mips isn't used as much, and unw_backtrace
will be slower, but AFAIK should work fine.

Backtracing from a signal handler is one of the primary use cases for
libunwind.