Re: [Libunwind-devel] mips implementation libunwind SEGV Faulting

From: John Knight
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] mips implementation libunwind SEGV Faulting
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 20:15:27 +0000

Hi All,

I have some more info.   While trying to update the Ginit.c to add printf’s to track down the SEGV problem, I had a close look at the make log that was generated during the build process.  Though the build does NOT fail to build the library and all needed binaries, there are a large number of assert messages that are logged.  Surprise!  Geez, it should have failed the build instead of go on and complete successfully.  Anyhow, I am seeing logged messages like this:

~/projects/libunwind/output/host/toolchains/buildroot-gcc463-NTPL/usr/mipsel-buildroot-uclibc/bin/ld: BFD (GNU Binutils) 2.21 assertion fail elfxx-mips.c

I know GNU binutils is at least up to version 2.27 and I am guessing that this issue could possibly go away once updated.  Unfortunately, at present, we are pretty much stuck with the 2.21 binutils, so not sure what I can do to move forward.  I am currently trying to find exact copy of binutils 2.21 elfxx-mips.c to bring more light to the problem and see if possibly it can be remedied or worked around without moving to a newer binutils.  I’ll post again later if I find anything significant or have a better understanding.

One question however comes to mind… many packages have configuration checks to make sure the tools/environment/target have versions that are sufficient to support the package.  For example, a certain loader level (version 2.27) might be required to insure proper operation.  Does libunwind configuration check for these minimum requirements?  Not sure yet, but it seems that perhaps binutils 2.21 may be too old, and the loader version containing this binutils is probably too old by association.

Thanks for your support,

John Knight

address@hidden

__________________________________________________________________ Confidential This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are the property of Belkin International, Inc. and/or its affiliates, are confidential, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom this e-mail is addressed. If you are not one of the named recipients or otherwise have reason to believe that you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this message immediately from your computer. Any other use, retention, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. Pour la version française: http://www.belkin.com/email-notice/French.html Für die deutsche Übersetzung: http://www.belkin.com/email-notice/German.html __________________________________________________________________