Re: [Libunwind-devel] use_prev_instr breaking unwind - how to stop it?

From: Doug Moore
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] use_prev_instr breaking unwind - how to stop it?
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 11:43:02 -0500

Thanks for those links.

You ask
Would unw_init_remote() work for your use?
I tried, but the resulting binary crashed. That may be because unw_init_remote does not include "c->validate = 0;" as does unw_init_local. Even if it did work, I don't think I could stand the performance penalty of using remote instead of local.

In any case, the implementations of local and remote clearly are not compliant with the online documentation for unw_init_local, which states:

From a behavioral point of view, the call:

    ret = unw_init_local(&cursor, &ucontext);

is equivalent to:

    ret = unw_init_remote(&cursor, unw_local_addr_space,
                          &ucontext);

which is untrue because of the different values of use_prev_instr and validate assigned by the two.

The rationale from 2010 includes

This seems almost impossible to run into with local unwinding - it's not possible for unw_getcontext() to have signal trampoline as the caller.

but I am trying local unwinding with a context delivered by a signal handler, not by unw_getcontext, and so stepping, for me, fails as you described in 2010:

2) Failure to trace at function entry; .eh_frame information exists and is correct. I suspect fetch_proc_info() should use "ip", not "--ip" to locate the FDE. In all cases I examined there is no adjacent preceding FDE, so lookup by ip-1 would come up empty.

At the moment, I'm defining a third flavor of unw_init to get me a cursor initialized to let me avoid this problem. I'd rather be staying within the documented libunwind interface. Can libunwind change to help me?

Doug

Quoting Lassi Tuura <address@hidden>:

The rationale from back in 2010 is in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libunwind-devel/2010-04/msg00060.html
plus surrounding thread, with earlier context on unwind failures in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libunwind-devel/2010-03/msg00015.html

There's also related earlier context in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libunwind-devel/2008-01/msg00017.html

As I mentioned in the first linked message, it seems improbable that
unw_init_local() could ever be invoked from a signal frame itself. At that
time, your use case of single stepping was mentioned as a counter-example.
Would unw_init_remote() work for your use?