Re: [Libunwind-devel] unw_get_proc_name fails randomly

From: Hui Zhang
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] unw_get_proc_name fails randomly
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 13:57:02 -0400

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 12:14 PM, Dave Watson <address@hidden> wrote:
On 04/16/17 09:33 PM, Hui Zhang wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I asked this question before but did not get any replies. I want to try
> again since it's really bothering me.
>
> Here's the problem:
>
> I'm using libunwind to walk the stack periodically during an execution,
> every time I walk the stack, I print out the name of the frame and the IP
> register value. Here's the weird thing:
> unw_get_proc_name *sometimes* cannot give me the name to the frame while
> other times it does give the correct name with the exactly same IP value.
> E.g. two exactly same call stacks(same IP value on each frame). One gives
> name for each frame within it, but the other is missing names for some
> frames. Why ?
>
> Any ideas why this is happening ?

What version of libunwind is this? 1.1? 1.2? git master?

​I'm using 1.2.​

If you had a simple repro example it would really help.  I can't think
of any particular cause without more details, sorry

I'm using libunwind inside a specific language's runtime library, so repro example is kinda difficult to provide...​

--
Best regards

Hui Zhang