Re: [Libunwind-devel] Minimum Linux Version requirements for libunwind?

From: John Knight
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] Minimum Linux Version requirements for libunwind?
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 19:14:58 +0000

Thanks Luke for your response.  This is good information.

According to the man page for backtrace, it indicates that "backtrace(),
backtrace_symbols(), and backtrace_symbols_fd() are provided in glibc since
version 2.1".  Sorry for any confusion on this.
Unfortunately, my glibc is apparently older than 2.1.  I am not sure exactly
how to tell how old... the usual method to try to run the libc.so.1 to get the
version number results in a segmentation fault.  Ldd --version is not
understood by ldd as well.  I also tried to use the gnu_get_libc_version()
function that is supposed to always work, but it does not exist on my system.
I think my glibc is very old... libc-so.1 vs libc-so.6 I am seeing commonly
referenced.  Sigh.

So to summarize, my linux kernel is 3.14.77,  glibc is old (version ????), and
gcc is 4.8.3.

Anyhow, I am being unsuccessful at getting libunwind working too.  It prints
one stack backtrace step for __clone + 80 and then exits.  I know there is one
function call from the signal handler to get to the backtrace() function, so
this looks bogus.  I just need a backtrace capability that works.  This is an
embedded linux environment and I am restricted as to software updates I can do,
so I think I am between a rock and a hard place.

John