lightning

Re: rex.W prefix in jumps on x86_64

From: Paul Cercueil
Subject: Re: rex.W prefix in jumps on x86_64
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 12:48:14 +0200

Hi Marc,

Le lun. 15 juin 2020 à 10:26, Marc Nieper-Wißkirchen <marc.nieper+gnu@gmail.com> a écrit :
May I check with you whether this issue has reached you, Paulo?

Your message definitely hit the list.

Thanks,

Marc

Am Sa., 25. Apr. 2020 um 21:02 Uhr schrieb Marc Nieper-Wißkirchen
<marc.nieper+gnu@gmail.com>:

 Hi,

I am currently using the development version of GNU lightning. When I
 look at the disassembly, I see things like

 rex.W jmpq *%rax

when an instruction like `jmpr R0' is jitted. I am wondering about the REX prefix, which doesn't seem to be necessary. In 64 bit-mode, where
 the operand size is fixed for jumps and calls.

Was that introduced by commit 8dc376f?. This one introduced a bug but I can't exactly put my finger on what's going on.

-Paul

 Thanks!

 Marc