lightning

API suggestion for GNU lightning: function giving runtime version inform

From: Basile Starynkevitch
Subject: API suggestion for GNU lightning: function giving runtime version information.
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 09:46:49 +0200

Hello all,

A lot of free software libraries have some function giving the runtime version information. For example GNU libc gives gnu_get_libc_version() and libcurl has curl_version().

Both gnu_get_libc_version and curl_version returns a pointer to a read only C string (const char*, in the .rodata section on Linux).

So my suggestion to GNU lightning would be to declare and implement a

  extern  const char* gnu_get_lightning_version(void);

Of course it would be also nice to have corresponding C macros

#define GNU_LIGHTNING_MAJOR_VERSION 2

#define GNU_LIGHTNING_MINOR_VERSION 2

#define GNU_LIGHTNING_STRING "2.2.2 x86-64"

which on a Debian/x86-64 desktop would perhaps return "2.2.2 Debian/x86-64"

Implementing these is probably tied to some good knowledge of GNU autoconf, which I sadly don't have. So I can only make the suggestion, not implement it.

The GNU coding conventions are suggestion a --version program argument to show these.

GNU lightning is used in the RefPerSys open source inference engine project on http://refpersys.org/ and https://github.com/RefPerSys/RefPerSys (for which I am seeking partners and contributors)

Regards from near Paris in France

--
Basile Starynkevitch                  <basile@starynkevitch.net>
(only mine opinions / les opinions sont miennes uniquement)