lilypond-auto

Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2547 in lilypond: Fix documentation of making

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2547 in lilypond: Fix documentation of making footnotes work via tweak.
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 09:47:53 +0000

Comment #9 on issue 2547 by address@hidden: Fix documentation of making footnotes work via tweak.

I'm happy to pick this up, but I'd like to make a few changes to
David's suggested patch.  If people agree with these I'll make
a new patch.

a) Because the syntax for text-based footnotes and those for music
is so different I think the two should be quite separate.  That
would enable the general syntax of each to be presented first, in
keeping with the rest of the manual.

b) It is easier to deal with the optional mark within the general
text, rather than have a separate section for this.

c) Some of the explanation is too deep.  In general users want to
know /how/ to do something rather than understand /why/ it is done
this way.  Lengthening an already very long manual needs to be
avoided if possible.

To these ends I propose the following alternative structure:

@subsection Creating footnotes
 @unnumberedsubsubsec Footnotes to music
  @subsubsubheading Music footnotes overview
  @subsubsubheading Event-based footnotes
  @subsubsubheading Time-based footnotes
 @unnumberedsubsubsec Footnotes to top-level text

The text will be drawn largely from David's patch,
moved around to fit the new headings.

Views?

Trevor