lilypond-auto

Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2348 in lilypond: Patch: Handling of open stri

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2348 in lilypond: Patch: Handling of open strings in tablature
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 21:19:08 +0000

Updates:

Comment #30 on issue 2348 by address@hidden: Patch: Handling of open strings in tablature

We have confusion about how restrainOpenStrings checks maximumFretStretch even for fret-0. <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2012-12/msg00062.html>

If we ask for a high A, fifth fret on guitar, and the pitch of the open low A string, restrainOpenStrings causes LilyPond to conclude that we cannot reach a finger to stop at fret-0 (the nut, which does not need to be stopped with a finger)

\version "2.16.0"
music =  {
  \set restrainOpenStrings = ##t
  \set minimumFret = #0  % the default
  % \set maximumFretStretch = #4  % the default
  <a, a'>1 }
<< \new Staff { \clef "G_8" \music }
   \new TabStaff { \music } >>
%%%% Output tablature indicates fifth fret for both As; expected low A on fret-0

I see from the code the behavior is intentional, Before we document, we should confirm that it is desired, or simply reverse this part of the patch. Is it ever useful to check stretching in these cases? Notice that the behavior changed with issue 2256 shortly before this issue, so we might be preserving an accidental confusing feature.