lilypond-auto

Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2657 in lilypond: font kerning on Windows is b

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2657 in lilypond: font kerning on Windows is broken
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 05:31:58 +0000

Comment #7 on issue 2657 by address@hidden: font kerning on Windows is broken

Behdad's suggestion is a simple deletion at
https://git.gnome.org/browse/pango/tree/modules/basic/basic-win32.c#n732

  if ( // remove the condition: !text_is_simple (text, length) &&
      uniscribe_shape (font, text, length, analysis, glyphs))

The text_is_simple test appeared with commit https://git.gnome.org/browse/pango/commit/modules/basic/basic-win32.c?id=e2f4d1dc15dc6664246780e51eb7664d023c0a07

The difficulty is setting up to build Pango for Windows.

I would think we could test the theory behind this with a string requiring complex script handling, that is, a string for which the Windows library function ScriptIsComplex(paragraph) returns true, making text_is_simple false.

However, surprisingly to me,
 \markup  "VVAATTo [أبجد(abjd)]"
 \markup  "أبجد1 VVAATTo أبجد2"
shows good bidirectional support, but no script-shaping of the Arabic, nor kerning of the Roman, as if ScriptIsComplex() returned true for that string.