lilypond-auto

Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3749 in lilypond: Patch: Because item pure hei

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3749 in lilypond: Patch: Because item pure heights are cached, the logic in Accidental_interface::pure_height doesn't work. The possibility to have multiple pure height results is eliminated by the caching.
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 12:20:33 +0000

Comment #7 on issue 3749 by address@hidden: Patch: Because item pure heights are cached, the logic in Accidental_interface::pure_height doesn't work. The possibility to have multiple pure height results is eliminated by the caching.

"recalculate-pure-height"? You are in a twisty little maze of callbacks, all alike.

Sorry, this way lies madness. We have pure, and unpure, and perhaps not so pure, please recalculate, and cache here and recalculate there, and some stuff is in pure-unpure containers, and some in callbacks, and now we get another _property_ that needs to get looked up for a calculation, meaning that the information we need for calculating height is not even contained any more in the Y-extent property but gets smeared across several properties.

That's not sane. It's just papering over a broken design, making it even harder to fix. But in the process, it opens a _new_ level of brokenness by storing information about _how_ to calculate one property in a _different_ property.

Now what happens if that _different_ property is an unpure-pure container? The potential for making the evaluation of properties absolutely unpredictable is staggering.

Let's not go there. Let's keep the information about how and when to evaluate a property with the property rather than spreading it elsewhere.