lilypond-auto

Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4187 in lilypond: Usage: convert-ly command li

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4187 in lilypond: Usage: convert-ly command line tips
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 19:53:41 +0000

Comment #2 on issue 4187 by address@hidden: Usage: convert-ly command line tips

Re comment #1 - I just did test it, it doesn't create PDF files in the directory that you run it in (at least not in bash - which is the shell that is default in Ubuntu and Mint).

The command to do that is just this:

find . -name '*ly' -exec lilypond '{}' \;

i.e.

cd /somedir

find /path/to/all/my/lilypond/files/here/ -name '*ly' -exec lilypond '{}' \;

this creates PDFs in /somedir whereas the comment #2 command in bash creates the PDFs in the /path/to/all/my/lilypond/files/here/ dir.

---

So I tried csh with the command from comment #2 and it does the same thing as bash

---

So I tried zsh using the command in comment #2 this does something different

This creates PDFs in the source dir but creates the midi and ps files in the dir you run the command from.

%^)

---

If I run

find . -name '*ly' -exec lilypond '{}' \;

all three shells create PDFs in the dir you run the command from.

Interestingly (?) I get no midi or ps files created.

So my life is too short to try to learn all the vagaries of the different shells (I dread to think what Windows needs :/ ) so I'll just use the 'shorter' command for both examples.

I think I agree with merging the two chapters, it makes more sense - especially I think when using the HTML version. Easier all on one page.