lilypond-auto

Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 1228 in lilypond: merge simultaneous rests of

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 1228 in lilypond: merge simultaneous rests of the same duration
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 22:33:56 +0000

Updates:
        Labels: -Patch-abandoned

Comment #15 on issue 1228 by address@hidden: merge simultaneous rests of the same duration

\new Staff
  << \relative c'' { c4 d e r | r2  e4 g | R1 }
  \\ \relative c'' { c4 b a r | g4 r r g4 | R1 } >>
should give the attached image.

We certainly want rests to be merged by default when they have the same duration and start at the same moment. If we over-print the rests in this case, then it is rather easy to separate them by using pitched rests in the less-common cases where that is appropriate.

The code on github is missing the layer to let us say "\consists Merge_rests_engraver" but otherwise looks good, except maybe that it forces a position of rests so that the old code in rest-collision.cc can't make the merged rest avoid a third voice. Instead of forcing positions, we could set direction=CENTER for rests merged from rests of opposite direction, and remove the warning message for that case. Or, we might move the logic of the code on github into rest-collision.cc.

Attachments:
        1228.png  5.6 KB