lilypond-auto

Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2361 in lilypond: Beams with multiple subdivis

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2361 in lilypond: Beams with multiple subdivisions
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 04:15:13 +0000

Comment #4 on issue 2361 by address@hidden: Beams with multiple subdivisions

LilyPond's beam subdivision was clearly wrong when compared with Gould. That error has been made a separate issue (issue 4355) and a patch has been submitted.

In this music there are two levels of subdivision. There is a subdivision at the 1/8 note level, and one at the 1/16 note level. The first 1/8 note is connected by a single beam two a two-note group with a duration of 1/16 note. This group is connected by a double beam to another two-note group with a duration of 1/16. Then, as we are at the end of a 1/8 duration, we are connected with a single beam to the next 1/16 note group.

The current logic of lilypond's beam subdivision allows us to choose to subdivide at only a single level. So we cannot get the desired beaming. Instead we get either a single beam between 1/8 note groups (and no other subdivision), or a double beam between 1/16 note groups (and no other subdivision). The enhancement request (which will require some kind of syntax change) is to allow more than one level of subdivisions.

Attachments:
        complex-beam-16.preview.png  5.4 KB
        complex-beam-8.preview.png  5.4 KB