Re: development stalled

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: development stalled
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2019 23:42:50 +0200

"Frank Bryce" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> my name is Frank and I have now used Lilypond for quite a long time, I
> enjoy it for some years but I dont like that there is no current
> improvements which a normal user can use. See the following list that
> shows that it has been more then 5 1/2 years since the last major
> version and even almost two years for the prerelease stage. That makes
> me sad. Unfortunately Im not a programmer so I dont know how to
> help.

The German translation is very much outdated (lagging behind a number of
years).  Your Email address suggests being located in Austria though
your family name does not exactly appear Austrian.  Would you be close
enough to being a native speaker to work in that area?

> Should I change to Musescore or Dorico?

What are you missing?  What do you expect to accomplish from a change?
LilyPond is so different from Musescore and Dorico that I don't really
know what expectations you would have from changing programs that could
also be addressed by a new release.

> version       release date    days since last release
> 2.0.0 2003/09/24
> 2.2.0 2004/04/01      190
> 2.4.2 2004/11/08      221
> 2.6.0 2005/06/27      231
> 2.8.0 2006/03/22      268
> 2.10.0        2006/11/15      238
> 2.12.0        2008/12/22      768
> 2.14.0        2011/06/06      896
> 2.16.0        2012/08/24      445
> 2.18.0        2013/12/29      492
> 2.19.80       2017/10/16      1387
> today 2019/08/13      666

2.19.80 is not the latest release.  Why would you not even upgrade to
the latest release, yet complain that there is no newer one?

I am not enthused about our current delays (for which I am certainly
responsible to a good degree) but really don't see how you think you
would gain from a program change.

--
David Kastrup