Re: LilyPond's gs console output on windows

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: LilyPond's gs console output on windows
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 16:56:40 -0500

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 2:36 PM David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> I know wonder whether this problem is
> >>
> >>   (1) limited to the gs program that comes with lilypond,
> >>   (2) related to the way gub is compiling gs,
> >>   (3) connected to changes in the Windows 10 console,
> >>   (4) or whether this a generic issue with gs itself, probably fixed
> >>       in newer gs versions.
> >>
> >> If we will have this behaviour with the next gub build also, I
> >> suggest that it gets documented.
>
> Didn't Windows require something like rungs or mgs or gswin32c or so?

I have LilyPond 2.19.83 on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 and Windows 10 Pro
64-bit version 1903.

Both of them behave the same way on Windows console: output a blank
line and exit.

Windows 10 does the same thing on PowerShell.

But, with Windows Subsystem for Linux, one can type "bash" in the
console and it switches to a bash environment. That seems to execute
things as expected. I haven't tried Git on Windows' bash shell.

Now, about GhostScript helper programs:

C:\Program Files (x86)\LilyPond\usr\bin>dir *gs* /B
gs-9.21.dll
gs-9.dll
gs.dll
gs.exe
gsettings.exe
gspawn-win32-helper-console.exe
gspawn-win32-helper.exe
gsx.exe

I also have PDF Creator (from pdfforge.org) which has its own GhostScript.

C:\Program Files\PDFCreator\Ghostscript\Bin>dir /B
gsdll32.dll
gsdll32.lib
gswin32c.exe

C:\Program Files\PDFCreator\Ghostscript\Bin> gswin32c.exe
GPL Ghostscript 9.25 (2018-09-13)
Copyright (C) 2018 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.

Hopefully that was helpful. I can do further testing if requested.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA