Re: Issue 5621: Improve rehearsal mark position at beginning of staff

From: Flaming Hakama by Elaine
Subject: Re: Issue 5621: Improve rehearsal mark position at beginning of staff
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 16:31:16 -0800

From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Bcc:
> Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 08:51:59 -0800
> Subject: Re: Issue 5621: Improve rehearsal mark position at beginning of
> staff (issue 547340043 by address@hidden)
> On 2019/12/15 06:29:59, lemzwerg wrote:
> > Well, the cis–trans pairing is IMHO only understandable for people who
> have a
> > Latin background (or come from Austria, since it was divided into
> nice as it
> > is, I suggest that you find names that are easier to comprehend for
> other
> > people.
>
> I'd like to add named constants to the code.  If CIS and TRANS are not
> well
> liked, how about SAME_WAY and OPPOSITE_WAY?
>
> I'd also like to hear more opinions before changing this.  A few years
> ago,
> I wouldn't have chosen to use "cis," but my perception is that it is no
> longer
> obscure in North American English.
>

> https://codereview.appspot.com/547340043/

In recent years, "cis" and "trans" have been getting more exposure in the
US, largely through the transgender movement.

Which is to say, transgendered people are referred to as "trans", and
people who are not transgender (their chosen gender matches their assigned
gender) are referred to as cisgender, or "cis".

Up until the trans/cis-gender usage, these terms to my knowledge only
appear in the context of organic chemistry.

I suspect that most lilypond users from the US would not immediately know
what cis/trans mean in this context, so I agree with the suggestion that
SAME_* and OPPOSITE_* would be clearer.

OTHO, I'm not sure that _WAY is very descriptive.  If we are discussing
alignments (can't quite tell, since I didn't see the CIS_ or TRANS_ in the
code review), maybe SAME_ALIGNMENT and OPPOSITE_ALIGNMENT would be clearer.

HTH,

Elaine Alt
415 . 341 .4954                                           "*Confusion is
highly underrated*"
address@hidden
Producer ~ Composer ~ Instrumentalist ~ Educator