Re: GSoC 2020 update, July 11

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: GSoC 2020 update, July 11
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2020 23:07:54 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Owen,

nice to read about your progress!

> Around the middle of the week, I tried to figure out how to get the
> Emmentaler fonts into an OpenType collection, but FontForge only has
> docs for "TrueType Collections".  Apparently, FontForge can make
> OpenType Collections by setting a "cff" flag in font.generateTtc's
> arguments, but trying that (and many variations on it) only yielded
> an error:
>
> ValueError: Layer is out of range
>
> And when I tried to specify layer="Fore" in the parameters, it
> segfaulted!  (I don't even know what a segfault is, only that it's
> short for "segmentation fault"...)

A segmentation fault is always a bug in the program (this is, in
FontForge).  What version are you using?  The latest one is from
March, see

  https://github.com/fontforge/fontforge/releases

If you still experience problems with that version please report them
to the FontForge people so that they can be fixed.  If it fails, there
are other programs that could be used to merge OpenType fonts into a
OpenType collection, for example, the `otf2otc` program from the
AFDKO:

  http://adobe-type-tools.github.io/afdko/AFDKO-Overview.html
  https://github.com/adobe-type-tools/afdko

    Werner