Re: Doc-string with newline character

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Doc-string with newline character
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 12:31:42 +0100

Thomas Morley <thomasmorley65@gmail.com> writes:

> Am Do., 31. Dez. 2020 um 00:11 Uhr schrieb Thomas Morley
> <thomasmorley65@gmail.com>:
>>
>> Am Do., 31. Dez. 2020 um 00:00 Uhr schrieb David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>:
>> >
>> > It's probably a bug.  Try replacing in
>> >
>> >                                     (format #f "@item @code{~a} (~a)\n"
>> >
>> > in the function doc-markup-function-properties in
>> > scm/document-markup.scm the second ~a with ~s (which should quote
>> > everything in read syntax).  This would likely have more consequences,
>> > like when there are string defaults.
>> >
>> > --
>> > David Kastrup
>>
>> I'll have a look.
>
> While using ~s #\newline is displayed properly:
> Used properties:
> • split-char (#\newline)
>
> Though, empty lists would be displayed without quote (p.e. from
> markup-command \whiteout):
> Used properties:
> • thickness (())

That is correct: values are not quoted in such lists (there would be
scheme-expr->lily-string if push came to shove, but I doubt it is a good
idea here).

> I regard the formatting code a bit cryptic.
> How are opinions about keeping the apostrophe for empty lists?

That would be really inconsistent.  If you don't like ((...)) one could
try to come up with a different kind of formatting the default values.

--
David Kastrup