Re: Cross compile Python for Windows?

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Cross compile Python for Windows?
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2021 17:30:29 +0100

Am Sonntag, dem 28.02.2021 um 16:24 -0800 schrieb Russell Haley:
> Hi Lilypond, Jonas,
>
> Once again, sorry for the top post. I’m using the stupid Windows
> email client.
>
> A contributor to llvm-mingw has created a shell script that can
> reliably cross build python. He pull in the MSYS2 patches and applies
> a few of his own and then uses the standard autoconf tools to cross
> build for windows. We have been testing the python interpreter with
> LLDB-MI in Windows with Eclipse. I’ve also run a couple of hello
> world scripts through the interpreter in Windows.
>
> The work can be found here: https://github.com/longnguyen2004/llvm-
> mingw/tree/build-python. The python build consists of the build-
> python.sh script and the patches in the patches/python folder. That
> branch should be merged into llvm-mingw sometime in the next few
> months, but you obviously don’t need to wait.

Thanks for the info, I'll have a second look when I resume my activity
on LilyPond's binary releases. IIRC the hard part was actually getting
all modules, in particular the ones for XML parsing. A difficulty in
that respect was that Python's build system doesn't fail when a module
cannot be built, it just doesn't install it...

Jonas