Re: GC and simple smobs??

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: GC and simple smobs??
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 14:54:02 +0200

Le 04/07/2022 à 14:52, David Kastrup a écrit :
Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> writes:

Le 17/06/2022 à 23:20, Jean Abou Samra a écrit :
Once again, the more I try to understand how GC works at
the C++ level, the more I get lost.

OK, as I said elsewhere, I think we really need documentation for
these things. I'm proposing some text for the CG in

https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/1450

This is incomplete, but I think it should already help a lot.
I suppose you've seen the comments in lily/include/smobs.hh and
lily/include/small-smobs.hh ?  I know it's kind of unusual to expect
useful information from source file comments, but those may have been
phrased a bit more diligently than average.

While the CG should certainly not be quiet here, those comments may at
least be a reasonable starting point.

Yup, I know about them, and they were already helpful for me.
They are focused on the smob infrastructure though. They tell
nothing about marking local variables, for example.