Re: Fixing regressions and serious issues

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Fixing regressions and serious issues
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 17:20:40 +0200

On Wed, 2022-07-20 at 13:56 +0200, Thomas Morley wrote:
> Am Mi., 20. Juli 2022 um 11:40 Uhr schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld via
> Discussions on LilyPond development <lilypond-devel@gnu.org>:
> >
> > On Thu, 2022-07-14 at 17:38 +0200, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> > > * “GUILE 2.2 doesn't provide source locations”
> > >
> > >    https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/5992
> > >
> > >    Needs figuring out if executing Scheme code with
> > >    `compile` is OK performance-wise and how to get
> > >    it to display source location info.
> >
> > I agree this is annoying, and it would be great to improve the
> > situation. I'm not sure if this should block the release though.
>
> I beg to differ.
> For me it's the most pressing and annoying issue. A stable release
> without good error messages is unusable for huge custom scheme
> codings.
> Granted, recently some workarounds were discussed on -user. Alas, I
> can't imagine a stable version needing those workarounds right from
> it's release date.
> Even it does not crash lilypond, I'd label it Critical as well.

I didn't want to imply this problem isn't important, but it's also
difficult to address (at least from my attempts). So the real question
is: If this is the only remaining issue, would we rather still have a
release or no stable release at all until it can be fixed. That's what
~Critical means in the end.

Jonas