Flex on macOS

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Flex on macOS
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 01:15:52 +0200

Hi,

As a follow-up to the release: on macOS I encountered a quirk which is that the
compiler spit out build errors on the Flex-generated lexer out/lexer.cc. (Now I
find myself stupid for not saving the error messages somewhere.)

I noticed that the macOS-provided flex version (on the MacStadium node provided
by Marnen, which runs the unsupported macOS Catalina) was ~10 years old, so I
installed Flex from Homebrew (required setting CPPFLAGS + LDFLAGS + PATH as
advised in the Homebrew log messages), and it went fine. Should we add "flex" to
release/binaries/Brewfile? Jonas, did you already encounter that problem? Did
you do the same?

(As far as I can see, we're already using Bison from Homebrew instead of the
macOS-provided one, which is even older.)

Apart from that, even though it took me a lot of time due to having to set up
all the VMs etc., the release went quite smoothly. Thank you Jonas for
thoroughly documenting the release procedure in the CG.

Cheers,

Jean