Re: Source tarballs on lilypond.org

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Source tarballs on lilypond.org
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2023 14:48:52 +0200

On Sun, 2023-09-03 at 14:29 +0200, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> Le vendredi 01 septembre 2023 à 19:56 +0200, Jonas Hahnfeld a écrit :
> > Yes, could be a good idea. Looking at the directory, it seems like the
> > contents of README.html are displayed below the list of directories,
> > maybe we should use that? If not, we can probably come up with a custom
> > solution to show the notice prominently.
>

> I went ahead and added a warning on these directories:
>
> https://lilypond.org/download
> https://lilypond.org/download/binaries
> https://lilypond.org/download/binaries/linux-x86
> https://lilypond.org/download/binaries/linux-64
> https://lilypond.org/download/binaries/mingw
> https://lilypond.org/download/binaries/darwin-x86
> https://lilypond.org/download/binaries/documentation
>
> Let me know how that looks. I plan to close #6648
> in a few days.

I don't like the text, the first sentence really much sounds like the
entire downloads directory is obsolete and people should also get the
sources from GitLab, which is very much not the case. Can you please
change it to something more like:
"IMPORTANT: Binaries and documentation archives are NOT updated on
lilypond.org anymore, please refer to releases on GitLab instead." (the
link is good though, I wasn't sure if that is possible)

*If* we want to say something about the source tarballs, I believe it
should only be mentioned in the topmost directory and not below
"binaries/" to not confuse average users. We may even want to vary the
message to only talk about the documentation archives in
"binaries/documentation/" etc.