Re: two-way synchronization (live or otherwise) between Lilypond and a D

From: Flaming Hakama by Elaine
Subject: Re: two-way synchronization (live or otherwise) between Lilypond and a DAW
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2019 11:47:19 -0700

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 6:14 PM Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Elaine,

> This is essentially my workflow.
> I use Logic as my DAW

That’s great! That’s what I have installed on my machine, so it’s the one I’d prefer to use.

> (It is especially annoying since there is not a key command for import MIDI within Logic, so I have to go through the menu each time.)

Can’t you use the built-in macOS keyboard shortcut assignment feature(s)?

Thanks for the ideas.  I was not familiar with the built-in macos keyboard shortcuts, so I looked it up.

I'm  not sure whether it is possible in this case.  The feature seems to be limited to top-level menu items, or at least if you can do submenus, it isn't clear how.

I tried "File > Import > MIDI File", and tried assigning it to a few different keys.  One apparently already has a system assignment (cmd-M for minimize), one had a Logic assignment (cmd-K for keyboard) and one that has no assignment (cmd-[).  But none of them worked.  The ones that had previous assignments retained those assignments, and the new one did nothing.

I even tried reducing the command to just opening the "File" menu, in case the issue was related to attempting to access submenus.  But still did not get successful results.  I wonder if this feature is app-dependent?

FWIW, Logic has a feature to reassign its keyboard shortcuts, but it only works for actions for which it already has shortcuts.

> Logic will import the new MIDI onto new tracks, and you need to delete the old MIDI, then move the new MIDI onto the old tracks, then delete the new, now-empty tracks.

Hmmm… That would be nice to automate. Maybe with Automator/AppleScript?

That sounds like a promising idea, too.

The only caveat would be that you would probably have to have a distinct script for each piece, or at least a distinct script for each set of instrumentation you use, since it would probably be specific to the number of tracks being manipulated.

I guess you could also always provide the same number of tracks in your lilypond MIDI output, even if some of them are empty or duplicate, and just mute those tracks.

Thanks,

Elaine Alt
415 . 341 .4954                                           "Confusion is highly underrated"
address@hidden
Producer ~ Composer ~ Instrumentalist ~ Educator