Re: [Lilypond] How to get guitar chords to appear at each bar

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: [Lilypond] How to get guitar chords to appear at each bar
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2019 22:12:29 -0500

> On Jun 9, 2019, at 6:32 PM, John Helly <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Aloha.
>
> With various suggestions that I'm very grateful for, I've mostly gotten
> this guitar and vocal piece to score reasonably.  However, I'm now stuck
> trying to get the guitar chords to appear over each measure of the
> verses and chorus.  I've tried a variety of things but they all seem to
> cause the chords to appear as part of the lyrics.  I may have boxed
> myself in somehow since I'm still a newbie.

Is the default is for a chord to appear at its first instance and not in
subsequent bars until it changes to a different chord. So if you have four bars
of D, you'll get the D chord at the start of the first bar but not the
subsequent bars. When it changes to a G chord, you'll get that chord listed and
then not again until the next chord change. This is pretty much the norm in
guitar charts in general as the page looks very busy and clunky with the same
chord being repeated over each bar.

> Also, I'm getting a console message saying:
>
> warning: forced break was overridden by some other event, should you be
> using bar checks?
>
> I'm trying to figure out what this is due to as it may relate to the
> question above (I guess).
> Any suggestions to get out of the box would be appreciated.

On my charts when that happens, somewhere I have made an error in the duration
of a note or a chord. Typically I've got an quarter note notated as an eighth
note, for example, or there's a problem with a dotted note. I use Lilypond to
create jazz band lead sheets so there is a melody and a chord chart
simultaneously; the error can be in either. usually it's a typo- I was typing a
number of eighth notes and there was supposed to be a quarter note but I typed
it as an eighth note.