Tempo markings & partcombine

From: Michael Seifert
Subject: Tempo markings & partcombine
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 08:28:42 -0400

        Hello everyone,

        I’m trying to transcribe a manuscript score, with the ultimate goal
being a Lilypond file that produces a full score and separate parts.  The score
has a few tempo changes in it, and I’m running into a problem with the tempo
markings that I can’t figure out from the manual.  Here’s a “tiny example” of
the issue:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\version "2.18.2"
partInotes={ c'1-"rit." c'1-"a tempo"}
partIInotes={ e'1-"rit." c'1-"a tempo" }

% Combined staff in score
\score{ \new Staff {\partcombine \partInotes \partIInotes} }
% Individual part 1
\score{ \partInotes }
% Individual part 2
\score{ \partIInotes }

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

What I’d like is for the tempo markings to show up (at most) once per staff in
the score, even on combined staves;  but the tempo markings should show up in
each individual part when it’s produced.  Right now, partcombine leads to both
of the “rit.” markings being printed on the combined staff, despite the fact
that only one of them is necessary.   I could remove the “rit.” marking from
the one of the sets of “part notes", but then it won’t show up in when I
produce the individual part.

Surely I can’t be the first person to run into this problem;  what’s the best
practice for this sort of situation?

Take care,

Mike Seifert