Re: Migrating from commercial music notation software to free alternativ

From: mskala
Subject: Re: Migrating from commercial music notation software to free alternative
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 16:00:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019, David Kastrup wrote:
> > LaTeX users are accustomed to writing macros in a Turing-complete language
> > with, for instance, if statements.
>
> LaTeX or TeX users?

I said LaTeX users because you did, but the statement is true about both.
TeX users were the original topic of this thread.

> TeX's macros are so peculiar because they rely on ad-hoc macro argument

LilyPond's programming model is very different from TeX's, and will not be
familiar to someone who comes in expecting to program LilyPond the same
way as TeX.  LilyPond is not a "TeX-based" or a "TeX-like" system.  Your
insistence that TeX is "peculiar" suggests that you think, as I do, that
programming LilyPond is much different from programming TeX - which is
what the original poster needs to know.

--
Matthew Skala
address@hidden                 People before tribes.