Automatic syncopated beams crossing bars?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Automatic syncopated beams crossing bars?
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2019 21:21:52 +0200

Hi,

Is it somehow possible to tweak the automatic beaming to produce beams that cross bar lines? I'm typesetting a piece with a syncopated rhythm which is indicated by beaming eight notes two and two, off the beats. I can managed to make the automatic beaming handle it within the bars, but it refuses to produce beams across the bar lines. Did I miss something or is this a missing feature?

Here's an example illustrating what I want and what I tried.

\version "2.19.83"

\relative c' {
\time 2/4
\tempo "Desired beaming, manually set"
\override Beam.breakable = ##t
c4. c8 [ |
\repeat unfold 12 {d ] c [ d ] c [ | }
d ] c [ d ] c |
}

\relative c' {
\time 2/4
\tempo "Failed attempt using beamExceptions"
\override Beam.breakable = ##t
\set Timing.beamExceptions = \beamExceptions { 8] 8 [ 8 ] 8 [ }
c4. c8 |
\repeat unfold 13 { d c d c | }
}

\relative c' {
\time 2/4
\tempo "Failed attempt using baseMoment, beatStructure"
\set Timing.beamExceptions = #'()
\set Timing.baseMoment = #(ly:make-moment 1/8)
  \set Timing.beatStructure = 1,2,2
c4. c8 |
\repeat unfold 13 { d c d c | }
}