Re: Repository with color themes for Frescobaldi

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Repository with color themes for Frescobaldi
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2019 11:09:04 +0000

Just for reference:
We've movoed this great repository to the frescobaldi "organization", and it is
now avaialble at https://github.com/frescobaldi/frescobaldi-themes.

I've also created an issue to document the feature request to create a much
better UI to preview and install editor themes (note: these themes govern the
appearance of the *text* editor, not the overall appearance of the program UI):
https://github.com/frescobaldi/frescobaldi/issues/1157

For reference (I have only now really understood this, so it may be of interest
for others as well):
Frescobaldi is by default using the theme the theme used by the operating
system's desktop environment.
In the Preferences dialog alternative themes can be selected (called “Style“ in
the dialog).
These selectable themes override the desktop's theme.
The themes that are available in the dropdown are the themes installed *for
Qt5* in the system. Some of them are installed along with Frescobaldi's
dependencies, but it's possible to install additional themes. On Linux this can
be done by installing packages that have some "-qt" in their name, for example
"adwaita-qt". I don't know about other environments, though.
NOTE: If you should now start trying it out be aware that the provided "gtk2"
theme seems to be risky for at least some systems, see
https://github.com/frescobaldi/frescobaldi/issues/1150

Best
Urs