percussion notation standard in Lilypond

From: list_lilypond
Subject: percussion notation standard in Lilypond
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2019 14:23:26 +0200

Hello all,

(very) long time not been here.

I'm engraving some drum scores for kids and it seems their teacher is
using another notation standard than Lilypond, zo I looked it up on
wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percussion_notation ) and it
seems indeed that there are two 'standards' for percussion notation.

One apparently less used from Peckman, Jonathan (2007) (Picture
Yourself Drumming, p.46. ISBN 1-59863-330-9), and one based on the
recommendations of the Percussive Arts Society found in Norman
Weinberg’s Guide To Standardized Drumset Notation (2002, ISBN
0-9664928-1-1).

(I'm just copying here from wikipedia.)

It seems Lilypond uses neither one, as shown by the hi-hat which it
positions between the 4th and 5th staff line, whereas both wikipedia
examples, *and* the kids' teacher, position the hi-hat a half line
higher (on the 5th line).

My question is now which standard Lilypond is using and why, and is it
authoritative enough to try to bugger the teacher into switching to
it? (I don't really mean to bugger him, rather some kind of trying to
convince him that it's better for the kids to learn a notation 'that
everyone is using'.)

If those 3 standards are all acceptable, wouldn't it be better if a
Lilipond engraver were able to choose which standard to use in his
piece?

Thanks for your thoughts!