Re: Help with String Orchestra Template Please

From: Ben
Subject: Re: Help with String Orchestra Template Please
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2019 17:11:13 -0400

On 10/5/2019 7:54 PM, Simon Albrecht wrote:
Hi Ben,

On 05.10.19 14:24, Ben wrote:

Does your approach allow for clean part-printing? I put together a quick test and it looks like they all get included for violin 1. I don't know a straightforward way to accomplish one divisi per violin 1 part in this special situation.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if you had to include all 6 parts on every file but the players may have some frustrations about having to highlight their part or something (assuming this 6-part divisi goes on for several pages of the full score).

as far as I know usually all subdivisions of the first violins would be contained in one part, though of course at some point that stops making sense. Printing individual parts for each subdivision is easy with the approach I demonstrated in demo-string-divisi.ly (see my previous post in this thread). Either set it up so that \RemoveAllEmptyStaves is effective only for the score in the first place, or use something like

\score {
  \vlIB
  \layout {
    \context {
      \Staff
      \override VerticalAxisGroup.remove-empty = ##f

for the part.

Best, Simon

Simon,

Thank you for your help. I've never had to use quotes before and I must admit, I am very confused about the syntax. I just consulted the manual and tried to copy and paste some code so I can learn it and tweak it, but I am getting warnings directly from the documentation.

Any chance you know what is going on? I'm finding the whole quote system difficult to wrap my head around. I don't see why (or how?) it works in your divisi code, and I'd like to be able to grasp it.

(copied and pasted from: http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/writing-parts#quoting-other-voices)

\version "2.19.83"

fluteNotes = \relative {
  a'4 gis g gis | b4^"quoted" r8 ais\p a4( f)
}

oboeNotes = \relative {
  c''4 cis c b \quoteDuring #"flute" { e4 r8 ais b4 a }
}

\addQuote "flute" { \fluteNotes }

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff \with { instrumentName = "Flute" } \fluteNotes
    \new Staff \with { instrumentName = "Oboe" } \oboeNotes

}

warning: Two simultaneous rest events, junking this one
warning: Previous rest event here