Re: \partial and measure numbers

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: \partial and measure numbers
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 16:22:41 +0000

On 10/11/19, 6:58 AM, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:

    "N. Andrew Walsh" <address@hidden> writes:

    > Hi fff,
    >

    > On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 2:25 PM foxfanfare <address@hidden> wrote:
    >

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> The traditional behavior is to not count a partial measure in the total,
so
    >> yes it should be counted as "0". If you want to count it, you should just
    >> add \set Score.currentBarNumber = #2 before your first measure.
    >>

    > huh. That's odd. For some reason I always counted pickup measures as bar 1
    > in my scores. Far out. OK, thanks for clarifying.

    You can repeat an 8-bar (say) phrase seamlessly even with pickup since
    pickup and last measure (usually) add up to one complete bar.  Giving
    both pickup and last measure a number of its own would be detrimental to
    this kind of reckoning.

Based on the location of the number, and seeing how standard engraving practice
works, I have just used the mental model that the number is not a measure
number, but a bar number, and it numbers the bar line, with the measure
following the bar line.

Hence, in terms of timing, bar number 1 shows up at measure time 0 of the first
measure.

/partial sets measure time to be negative, so /partial notes actually exist
before bar 1.

This works for me.  YMMV.

Thanks,

Carl