Re: Transposing choral score

From: Graham King
Subject: Re: Transposing choral score
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 09:52:06 +0100

It's your choice of course, but there is no need to transpose incipits in
renaissance music.  In fact, it is positively unhelpful.  An incipit with the
first note in the original pitch tells the reader several things, including
what transposition the editor has applied.  In the case of Missa Gabriel
archangelus, the presence of a C4 clef in the bassus and G2 in the cantus tells
us that Palestrina wrote in "chiavi transportati" (chiavette) and that
transposition, at sight, down a fourth (in this case) might have been expected.
 If the editor transposes the incipits, that expectation can be altered.

Hoping that saves you a little effort :)
-- Graham