Re: MIDI, rests and end-of-track

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: MIDI, rests and end-of-track
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 13:20:04 -0500

On Tue 22 Oct 2019 at 18:08:02 (+0200), Malte Meyn wrote:
> Am 22.10.19 um 17:06 schrieb Cam:
> > \version "2.18.2"
> >
> > […]
> >
> > My concern is that the track chunk which contains the actual notes
> > is shown as ending immediately after the e8 note. You can tell it
> > ends there because the end-of-track meta-event has a MIDI tick of
> > zero, showing that it happens as soon as the e8 is over. To my
> > mind the end-of-track event should have had a tick of 384
> > indicating that it ended after the r4 quarter note rest.
> >
> > […]
> >
> > Is this a bug, a feature or just me not understanding something?
>
> It is a bug that was fixed in more recent versions. Although it is
> called “unstable” it is safe to install 2.19.83; it’s a pretty stable
> pre-release for the next stable 2.20.0.

That fixes things for software that honours the end-of-track
indication (eg audacious), but not for software which doesn't
(eg timidity). In the case of timidity, it's only since 2.14.0
that it even honours *opening* silence rather than seeking to
the first note, which would compromise playing files simultaneously.
Is there a quick and easy fix for adding closing silence that
has to be "played"?

Cheers,
David.