Re: fonts.cache

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: fonts.cache
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 09:18:57 +0200

Hi David,

thanks a lot!

> Technically, I think that's .lilypond-fonts.cache-2 which means, of
> course, that it's a "hidden" dotfile.

Of course, the missing dot was just a typo.

>> I currently use a symlink (on Ubuntu, ext3 file system) and that seems
>> to work. But can I change it somewhere else?
>
> A quick search of a locally installed version throws up this file:
>
> $ cat ~/lilypond-2.19.83-1.linux-64/lilypond/usr/etc/fonts/local.conf

Thank you! I will try and change the path in this file.

> I don't know where the distribution-supplied version keeps its font
> cache; perhaps in /var/cache/… though I don't see any feta or
> emmentaler therein.

The system font cache seems to be in /var/cache/fontconfig.

> I also don't know where you prefer them to go (local ones).
> My own preference would be in ~/.cache/lilypond/…,
> .cache/ being where most applications seem to be moving their
> cached data to, in a similar manner to their configuration
> directories migrating to .config/ over time. Much tidier.

That was my intention. LilyPond is one of the few programs still using a
top-level dotfile (folder). I will try ~/.cache/lilypond/fontconfig as
new path.

Cheers
Joram