Re: Unconventional score and unwanted stray staff lines

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Unconventional score and unwanted stray staff lines
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2019 10:20:29 +0100

Am Sa., 30. Nov. 2019 um 23:19 Uhr schrieb David Bellows
<address@hidden>:

> Hello everyone, I started this thread back in May and as far as I can
> tell the main problem has not been added to the tracker.

Yep.

> As I was playing around with my software (summary: a program that
> generates music and then automatically generates Lilypond files where
> the Lilypond file is compiled without any human interaction so it has
> to be able to handle some crazy, crazy stuff), I discovered a
> situation that is not properly handled by the workaround. I fear that
> fixing this will require a workaround for the workaround which feels
> like a bad thing. But since I don't understand what's going on and I
> don't understand the relationship between the minimal working examples
> supplied by others and my original example, I have no idea if the new
> problem is part of the original issue, part of the workaround, an
> entirely separate issue that happens to be rearing its ugly head here.
>
> As you'll see, the problem is incorporating a score that is
> entirely/mostly rests into the previous workaround. Problems result.
>
> So, I'm not sure what my next step should be.
>
> Anyway, I've attached a Lilypond file. There are three different ways
> to compile it, you just comment out the options you don't want. I've
> attached the three resulting pdfs. I apologize for any extraneous code
> and the way it is structured as I've kept it as close to my original
> form as possible.
>
> Thanks for any additional help,
> Dave Bellows

Your first example is ok. there's no need for a line-break.
Same for the second one: You use \RemoveEmptyStaves, thus the second
line of rests is deleted.
Consequently your third example (with notes) works as expected.

Maybe throw \RemoveEmptyStaves away.

Cheers,
  Harm