Re: Fingering orientation question

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Fingering orientation question
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2019 10:12:01 +0100

Am Do., 5. Dez. 2019 um 09:17 Uhr schrieb Jacques Menu <address@hidden>:

> Hello folks,
>
> In the attached score, I’ve had to create artificial one-note chords such as
> <a,-3> for the down fingering orientation to be taken into account:
>
>   \set fingeringOrientations = #'(down)
>
>   <a,-3>4 <e-1> a, e | % 2
>
> I didn’t find other ways to achieve this result in the docs.

Well, there's quite a mess with Fingering_engraver and New_fingering_engraver...
If you _need_ to use the context-properties
fingeringOrientations/stringNumberOrientations/strokeFingerOrientations
then you need to use event-chords. Furthermore StringNumber and
Strokefinger applied outside of a chord don't follow tweaks/overrides
of 'direction.
Fingering does!

Though they all follow the direction-modifiers ^/_

See:
{
    b-2 -\5 -\rightHandFinger #1
    b^2 ^\5 ^\rightHandFinger #1
    b_2 _\5 _\rightHandFinger #1

    b-\tweak direction #UP -2
     -\tweak direction #UP -\5
     -\tweak direction #UP \rightHandFinger #1

    b-\tweak direction #DOWN -2
     -\tweak direction #DOWN -\5
     -\tweak direction #DOWN \rightHandFinger #1

    \once \override Fingering.direction = #UP
    \once \override StringNumber.direction = #UP
    \once \override StrokeFinger.direction = #UP
    b-2 -\5 -\rightHandFinger #1

    \once \override Fingering.direction = #DOWN
    \once \override StringNumber.direction = #DOWN
    \once \override StrokeFinger.direction = #DOWN
    b-2 -\5 -\rightHandFinger #1
}

Alas, if you need directions like left or right or a list of
directions like '(up left down), then you can't avoid the event-chord,
though.

> Would it be reasonable and feasible to apply such fingering orientation at
> the voice level?

Not sure what you mean...

Cheers,
  Harm