Re: Bar lines within bars inhibit bar numbering

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Bar lines within bars inhibit bar numbering
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2019 18:49:15 +0100

Am Do., 12. Dez. 2019 um 17:05 Uhr schrieb Peter Toye <address@hidden>:

> The example below shows the issue. The mid-bar line with a \break does not
> show the bar number at the beginning of the next line - I would expect '2'. A
> \break at the end of a bar gives the expected result.
>
> Also, the commented out line doesn't compile, and I can't see why, so can't
> see if it would make a difference. I cut-and-pasted the vector from the
> manual, but that's what the complier seems to be complaining about.
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter
> mailto:address@hidden
> www.ptoye.com
>
> \version "2.19.83"
>
> \language "english"
>
> \score {
>   \new Staff {
>     \clef "treble"
>     \time 4/4
>     {
>       %\override BarNumber.break-visibility = #(#t #t #t)

BarNumber is at Score-level.
#() is an (empty) vector in scheme. You need to tell LilyPond to
interpret this native _scheme_-expression. As usual prepend it with
another '#'. Makes for:
\override Score.BarNumber.break-visibility = ##(#f #t #t)

Alas, what you really want may be:
\set Score.barNumberVisibility = #first-bar-number-invisible-save-broken-bars

>       c''1 2 \bar "||" \break
>       \key f \major
>       f'2
>       f'1 1 \break