Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 3.1 has been released!

From: Ralph Palmer
Subject: Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 3.1 has been released!
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2019 09:49:53 -0500

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 5:21 AM Wilbert Berendsen <address@hidden> wrote:
Dear Friends,

Frescobaldi 3.1 has been released! There are many new features.

Wonderful!
I am very grateful to many co-developers that now contribute on a
regular basis: Urs Liska, Peter Bjuhr, and many others.

Many thanks to all of you. I use Frescobaldi so much.

Download the source tarball at:
https://github.com/frescobaldi/frescobaldi/releases

Note that Frescobaldi is now part of the GitHub organisation with the
same name :-) to reflect that I'm certainly not the only one managing
this project :-)

Note to distributors and users of a git checkout: the MO (Message
Object) files with the translations are not in git anymore, but they are
built manually before packaging a source tarball.See INSTALL. When
installing from the source tarball it is not needed to build the MO
files.

Other notes:

- A recent version of the poppler library is needed to make vector
  graphics drawing and copying in the Music View work well.

- Frescobaldi does not use QtWebkit anymore, but instead now depends on
  QtWebEngine and its related modules.

I confess that I'm a bit of a novice regarding installation via tarball.

I'm running Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS.

I cannot find Frescobaldi 3.1 in my Ubuntu Software app.

I downloaded the tarball, but I'm unsure where to put it and/or extract it. I tried putting it in its own directory in my /home directory, then extracting it there, but I still cannot figure out how to install it, even after reading the install file. I would greatly appreciate some further advice about how, what, and where I need to install Frescobaldi 3.1 and associated  required files. For example, do I need to separately download and install Python 3.8.1? If I'm installing on my machine, do I need QtWebEngine? (I can't find that through Ubuntu Software, either.) Or should I wait until the Ubuntu Software application recognizes Frescobaldi 3.1?

(I *am* trying to learn Linux from the command line, but it takes a while and my elderly brain is slow on the uptake.)

Many thanks to everyone who helps so much with Lilypond and Frescobaldi!

All the best,

Ralph

--
Ralph Palmer