Spacing between clef and first note without time signature

From: Jay Anderson
Subject: Spacing between clef and first note without time signature
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 21:30:33 -0700

Not a great title, but here's what I'm wanting to achieve:

=====
\version "2.20.0"

\score {
  \new Staff { c''2 r }
  \layout {
    \context {
      \Staff
      \omit TimeSignature
=====

This looks mostly correct until I reduce the staff size and squeeze it horizontally:

=====
\version "2.20.0"

\score {
  \new Staff { c''2 r }
  \layout {
    line-width = 15\mm
    \context {
      \Staff
      \omit TimeSignature
    }
    #(layout-set-staff-size 14)
=====

The space between the clef and the first note is not compressible (almost as if it's still leaving space for the time signature). Is there a way to squeeze this? I'm wanting this in a footnote and it needs to be reduced in size to look right. Thanks for the help.

-----Jay Anderson