Strange behaviour of chord names?

From: Christian Masser
Subject: Strange behaviour of chord names?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 15:11:27 +0100

Hey all!

Just had a curious case concerning chord names. Typesetting a small jazz piece and - as always - wanted to keep my file tidy, so I put the chords for the solo-section in a variable as they are the same for every solo. But somehow Lilypond seems to make a difference, if one inserts the rests/skips directly to the chords or not. Has anyone of you an idea why Lilypond prints the chords below the staff in the first example and above the staff in the other one? I did a quick search but couldn't find an explanation that convinced me.

All the best,
Christian

\version "2.22.0"

mySoloChordsA = \chords {