Re: Line breaks not working despite using \break

From: Mark Knoop
Subject: Re: Line breaks not working despite using \break
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 12:06:54 +0000

At 11:46 on 15 Mar 2021, Robert Blackstone wrote:
Hi all,

I’m presently struggling with a keyboard score and I know exactly where line
breaks have to be inserted to make the score readable. So I enter \break at
those points, in all voices, but it does not work at all. The result is a
cluttered, ugly and for the pianist practically unreadable score.

Does any of you know another way to force a line break? I’m using TeXShop on my Mac.
Usually "\break" works perfectly.

Things to check when \break doesn't work:

- breaks must be at a bar-line, include \bar "" if you want one mid-bar

- are you using bar-checks? often a failed break is a symptom of an error in
the entry of durations

- some things are not breakable by default (Beams, note durations), see here
for solutions.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/line-breaking

--
Mark Knoop